OPENING OF SCHOOL YEAR 2023-2024
The Department of Education (DepEd) announces that the opening of classes for School Year 2023-2024 in all public schools will be on August 29, 2023.
Private schools may choose to open classes on any date starting “the first Monday of June but not later than the last day of August,” pursuant to Republic Act 11480.
2023 BRIGADA ESKWELA IMPLEMENTING GUIDELINES
- The Department of Education sets this year’s Brigada Eskwela on August 14-19, 2023.
- The Brigada Eskwela (BE) is a nationwide school maintenance program that engages all education stakeholders to contribute their time, efforts, and resources in ensuring that public schools are all set in time for class opening. It is a six-day event where local communities, parents, alumni, civic groups, local businesses, non-governmental organizations (NG0s), private individuals, and even teachers and students volunteer their time and skills for the conduct of clean-ups, minor to medium repairs, and maintenance work in classrooms and within the school site.
- With the issuance of Presidential Proclamation No. 297, dated July 21, 2023, lifting the State of Public Health Emergency throughout the Philippines due to COVID-19, all prior orders, memoranda, and issuances that are effective only during the State of Public Health Emergency shall be deemed withdrawn, revoked, or cancelled and shall no longer be in effect. All COVID-19 restrictions including but not limited to the wearing of face masks and distancing are lifted.
- The Guidelines on the Implementation of Brigada Bakwela for School Year 2023-2024 are enclosed.
- All regions and schools divisions are instructed to provide intensive and extensive support to school heads.
- This DepEd Order shall take effect upon its approval, issuance, and publication on the DepEd website. Certified copies of this Order shall be registered with the Office of the National Administrative Register (ONAR) at the University of the Philippines Law Center (UP LC), UP Diliman, Quezon City.
References: DepEd Memorandum Nos. 020, 2023 and 062, s. 2022